Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What is art?

I visited an interesting blog today (http://lauratringaliholmes.blogspot.com/2011/12/dangling-conversation.html) where Laura Tringali Holmes made a post about the ongoing discussions of "what is valid art." I left the following comment: "The same conversation continues on whether digital art is truly art or must it be physical to be considered real art. I personally feel art is any expression a person is able to make that allows them to display what they are feeling and what will fulfill their need. Art should not be what others expect, but an expression that will make the creator of it feel whole." I wonder what you think?

4 comments:

Martin said...

I sometimes discussed this with friends, and I still haven't found a sufficient answer. I think it's better not to have a restrictive defintion. A comedian once said: "It's art if it has been shipped by Hasenkamp." (That's the world's leading company for art logistics.)

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

The face of art is changing every day. Even the old distinction between "prints" and "originals" is gone. Photographers struggled to get their printed images accepted as "fine art," and now digital artists are taking the discussion even further. It's a whole new world!

I'm really glad you found my post thought-provoking, and I enjoy your insightful commentary. Thanks for continuing the discussion here on your own blog!

Christine said...

Hi, Bill. Acording to Amy Lowell, Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in.
Just that. It doesn't matter the way the artist does it. Everything else is bla, bla, bla.

Karla said...

It is a very very hard question to answer.. but I a couple of days I read something that opened my mind. 'Nothing is art if it does not come from nature'

Perhaps, I would rephrase to say 'if it is not inspired in nature..'

Very difficult as Art can be soo relative ;)